Saturday, May 12, 2012

Hey, Cruel World... [review]

It's been almost two weeks I've had my pirating ears on Born Villain and only two days since I added the physical copy to my possessions. Time to discuss my likes and dislikes. 


match.com profile: 


//I can hear Rockfest from my window. 20th anniversary this year. Never been and I'd like to keep up that tradition next year.//


Ok, I applaud Manson for stepping out of the basic CD jewel case for the first time ever but he fucked up by not including a booklet what so ever. Lyrics at ?????.com. This is a joke. Also what's up with all the unused space. Creative juices here have run dry. 


Track by track, blow by blows

Hey, Cruel World...
Droning guitar intro hypnotizes. This is going to be a long ride. Some sweet moments mixed with some you wanna skip but you are strapped in the back seat, brick on the gas and no ones guiding your experience. 

Creator
Preserver
Destroyer
Ask which one I am

Thought provoking lyrics. Some nice guitar harmonic and muting at play. Twiggy writes some simply ass hooks but it uh, hooks you in. Glad he's back in the band writing music.

No Reflection
I hate singles. They grow on you so hard and fast it's hard to criticize truthfully. So this track just rocks. Another simply three chord song but damn it works. Chaos at the end still resonates.

made of scars
and filled with my old wounds

Pistol Whipped
How many tracks is it now that have the sound a revolver spinning? This a gushy love song laced with violence and metaphors of  flower reproduction.

cock, cock, cock it

Overneath the Path of Misery
Manson's wordsmith degree shines throughout this masterpiece.

Is there anyway to unswallow my pride
Can I fuck myself down?
Why die, when you can kill he father?
Dad is missing an 'e'

 This was the track Manson got Shia LaBeouf  to use some of his Transformer money to make the trailer for the short film Born Villain with. 

Slo-Mo-Tion
This is a strong contender for my favorite track off the album. Lots of guitar amp feedback, the kind that gets in the brain and make you close your eyes, tilt your head, and cringe with delight. Manson's sings like on the track WOW from The High End of Low. Slight rappish but very groovy. The bass on this shit is beast.

I'm the host with Vasoline
I hide behind bulletproof glass
and I can feel your tits
with my brand new camera
(equipped with a flash)
fast-food-nude
I hate you all
but somehow
you find me...
incredibly charming

The Gardener
Another poetry open mic night during the verses. I love these moments in the song. A thick bass line behind his words that'll make you sway. The "FA-FA-FA-FAKE IT" shit on the other hand is annoying as hell. I've tried to ignore the fact that Manson has starting repeating parts in songs on his past two albums. It's pretty bad these days. I can't help but notice it now and I find it hard to keep from being disappointed.

It's like a garden with two flowers
 One just blooming and casting a shadow just like yours
And then it becomes a struggle of sunlight or rain or weeds

----------------------------------
PAUSE IN WRITING
 Mother's Day dinner. Also heard Chevelle got pulled from Rockfest due to power issues. Bummer. Maybe  the only band I'd have be thrilled to see.
------------------------------------

Ok, back

The first half of the the album is pretty flawless while the second side is really hit or miss. Let us continue this unwanted journey.....

The Flowers of Evil
Repetitive jam. At one point I thought the CD was fucking with me and turning the needle back and playing shit over and over again. There is a nasty refrain that sounds super lame 90's shit with a humming in the background that brings pain to my ears. Really not feeling this.

The day they covered us in the dirt.
Like scars in the ground that will grow into dead flowers

Children of Cain
Has a nice Mechanical Animal album feel to it. Nice and slow. Weird keyboard parts filled with multiple vocal takes. Old Manson. That's what I like to hear. Man I miss Pogo.

No sin-eater to slay us children of Cain
Watching monkeys suicide, Sunday AIDS and church wine wash it away

Disengaged
First couple of listens I didn't care for it. Then the distortion finally penetrated my brain. I saw the light. Song starts off kinda gay and feels childlike for some reason then someone hits the FUZZ pedal and we start to chant 
Dis, dis, dis
DISINGAGE!

And I'm an event everybody knows
You decide if you can live
Or you decide to let someone decide for you

Lay Down Your Goddamn Arms
I remember when I first saw this song on the track list, I thought to myself, this song is going to suck. It does. Hear me out though, the music is pretty fucking good. Sounds real metal with it's distorted wah wah playing but then it gets too commercial. I think I really hate the lyrics to this and the singing in general. Too bad. Could of been something great

Wanna fight? Wanna fuck? Wanna die?

Murderers are Getting Prettier Every Day
Oh fuck yes, BEST SONG ON THE ALBUM. 
Real fast, Burning Flag fast. Fuck yeah. Just found out last night this song made it to the setlist in Dallas. After 10 nights in a row of the same fucking set list Manson finally change the shit up and adding this masterpiece. The police sirens in the middle followed by his whispered outro. Beautiful.
GOD, PLEASE PLAY THIS WEDNESDAY.

Your ransom note is quoted by your birth and death certificates
and all of your love, and all of your love letters read just like my will

Fall on your knees
I hear the horrid voices of someone else's angels

Fuck you

Born Villain
Not one of the best title tracks in his career but it's pretty solid, though the echo in his voice is distracting. Could have been better. More gun talk.

I don't ever want god
to hear our screams
and mistake them for prayers

Break the Same Old Ground
What a shitty way to go out. I just think this could have been thrown away. Unwanted and depressing.

I am owned by death and I'm in love with oblivion.

More gun sounds.

BONUS TRACK

You're So Vain
I hate this shit. I'm subjected to this song at least once a day at work. I'm sick of it. It's pretty cool to have your friend Johnny Depp to participate in the recording but Christ I wish it was something else. Nice guitar bends but not much else. Reminds me of when Manson covered Tainted Love. Fuck that shit too.

SCORE
7.5/10 cliche revolvers cocking



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of these ideas/songs I believe he had demos for back in 2010 and I think he actually had this album in the can since January 2011 with exception to the bonus track. Sucks to have to sit on this shit shopping around for a new label. Starts to lose it's freshness.

Your "sell-by-date" expired,
So you had to be sold

Beside all that, I can not wait for the show this Wednesday. Fuck the haters, ....













No comments: